Fedora is an RPM-based, general purpose Linux distribution, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and sponsored by Red Hat.
Some features of Fedora 8 are:
* PulseAudio – a sound daemon that lets you control the audio in different applications. Fedora is the first distribution to enable it by default.
* system-config-firewall – a new firewall configuration tool that replaces system-config-securitylevel from previous releases.
* CodecBuddy – a tool that guides users using content under proprietary or patent encumbered formats to open formats. It can optionally install multimedia codecs at the user's request.
* IcedTea – a project that attempts to bring OpenJDK to Fedora by replacing encumbered code.
* NetworkManager – faster, more reliable connections; better security (through the use of the keyring); clearer display of wireless networks; better D-Bus integration.
* Better laptop support – enhancements to the kernel to reduce battery load, disabling of background cron jobs when running on the battery, and additional wireless drivers.