The industry-standard Cisco Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs
into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot, linking the port with the network. Cisco GBICs can be interchanged on a wide
variety of Cisco products and can be intermixed in combinations of 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH,
1000BASE-ZX, or 1000BASE-CWDM interfaces on a port-by-port basis.
The Cisco 1000BASE-T GBIC (product number WS-G5483=) connects a GBIC port to Category 5 wiring via a
standard RJ-45 interface. The maximum Category 5 wiring distance is 328 feet (100 meters).
The Cisco 1000BASE-T Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) is an ideal solution for Catalyst 6500, 4500, 3550, 2950,
3500 XL, and 2900 XL Series switches to provide full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to high-end workstations
and between wiring closets over existing copper network infrastructures. This GBIC technology leverages the
industrys flexible, standards-based 1000BASE-X design, allowing for a simple and low-cost migration path to
• Cisco Model WS-G5483=
• Flexible Gigabit Ethernet Connectivity
• Hot swappable--when deployed, the switch does not have to reboot.
• Auto-sense MDI-X--auto configures to MDI straight-through or MDI-X cross-over depending of cable connection.
• Interchangeable- flexibility to deploy future 1000BASE-X GBICs (SX, LX/LH, ZX, TX, CWDM, GigaStack GBICs).
• Ease of Use and Ease of Deployment
• Leverages simplicity of 1000BASE-X design, offering "plug-and-play" deployment.
• Has self-locking mechanism ensuring that GBIC is installed correctly and is secured in switch.
• Manageable through Web-based Cisco Cluster Management Suite (CMS) and Cisco IOS Software.
• Switch or line card LED displays indicate link status, link activity and link fault.
• Supports new authentication feature enables user to easily identify whether the GBIC is an authentic Cisco GBIC.
-- SPECIFICATIONS ---------------------------------
• STANDARDS - IEEE 802.3ab
• CONNECTORS - Connector: RJ-45
• Cable : Category 5 UTP
• Cabling distance (maximum): 328-ft (100m)
• INDICATORS - Link status, link activity and link fault
• APPROVALS - FCC Part 15 Class A, EN 55022B Class A (CISPR 22 Class A),VCCI Class A, BCMI, CE.
• SIZE - 1.55"w x 0.75"h x 4.32"d WT.- 0.11 lbs.
• for Catalyst 6500, 4000, 3550, 2950G, 3500 XL, and 2900 XL switches