Here we have a Beautiful Borough of Roseland 75th Anniversary Stein 1908-1983,
September 10. 1983
Cream with gold trim.
Picture showes both sides of stein.
Like new, no chips or cracks or crazing.
APPROX. 5-3/4" TALL.
The Borough of Roseland was originally known as the Centreville section of Livingston. In 1873, one of Centreville's prominent residents, Judge Rufus Harrison, led an effort to get the community it's own post office. Since a Centreville post office already existed in Hunterdon County, a meeting was called in the schoolhouse to choose a new name for the section. Roselyn was suggested by Sarah Condit Harrison. Whether through misspelling or design, Roselyn became Roseland, and the post office became a reality on April 14, 1874.
By the early 1900's, Roseland, still part of Livingston Township, was growing in population. At a school district meeting in Livingston Township in 1907, a large delegation from Roseland was outvoted when they requested that a new school be built for their area. Following this meeting, a resident named Bill Teed led a drive to petition for the establishment of a new borough. The petition was circulated and presented to the State Legislature, and on April 10, 1908, the Borough of Roseland came into existence.