The XPDI3 is an electronic, decorative-style, dimming, Single-Pole/3-Way Wall Master Switch rated for 40-500watts, 4A Inductive. It can handle
loads as follows: Incandescent (120V Standard or Halogen) Bulbs, Low Voltage Lighting using Inductive Transformers, ceiling fan motors, etc.
Its decorative paddle permits local operation of the Switch. The Power Cutoff Switch is provided for bulb changing. The X10 Address Code Dials
set the Letter Code and Number Code and are located behind the paddle.
Specific Requirements: 120VAC, 40-500W Incandescent, 4A Inductive. Lamps rated below 40W may flicker and/or operate erratically.
The Neutral Wire IS required.
The Ground Wire is not used.
Optional / Supplementary Devices & Modules:
XPDP-AL - Almond Rocker in Pkg of 10ea.
XPSS - Slave Switch for existing 3-Way Installations. Uses XPSP-AL Almond rockers.
XPT2D - Alternate Slave Switch (Transmitter) for existing and new 3-Way/4-way Installations.
XPF - Filter to reduce noise, from load, degrading switch operation.
X10 Protocol: House Code Dial - Letters A-P (default "A") Unit Number Dial - Numbers 1-16 (default "1")
Each X10 Receiver Module is set to a unique Unit Number or to an identical Unit Number as desired.
Each X10 Controller operating a specific set of Receiver Modules must be set to the same Letter Code as the Receivers they are controlling.
Responds to ALL LIGHTS ON command.
Electrical Protocol: Nearly all residential homes are wired SPLIT-PHASE. Each 120V Phase is NOT directly connected with the other 120V
phase. If after installation, an X10 Receiver does not respond to a remote Controller, then check to ensure that the breaker serving the X10
Receiver is on the same phase as the Controller. If not, the breaker can be changed to the opposite phase. An alternative solution is
recommended, to install a Phase Coupler for improving remote communications throughout the home.
Installation: for Single-Pole operation
1. Turn power OFF at Circuit Breaker.
2. Pull-out the existing wall switch from the switch box.
3. Inspect inside the wall switch box for existence of white neutral wire/wires capped together (typically at the back of the box). If no white neutral
wires exist, STOP. You CANNOT use the XPDI3 unless you run a neutral wire to this box.
4. On the XPDI3 Cap off the RED wire, it will not be used in this install.
5. Remove the existing wall switch. Two wires remain protruding out of switch box. One is HOT, the other goes to the light/load. They may be the
6. With Breaker ON, determine which protruding wire is HOT. Use a voltmeter and measure between ground and each wire individually.
One will read 120V, the other 0V.
7. With Breaker OFF, connect a white neutral wire to the WHITE wire. You may have to tap into a neutral wire bundle with an additional white wire
8. Connect the HOT wire to the BLACK wire, connect the Light/Load wire to the BLUE wire.
9. Re-check all connections, Turn power ON at Circuit Breaker. Turn the Power Cutoff Switch to ON position.
10. Press switch paddle once, the light should turn ON. Press & Hold to Dim the light/load. Press paddle again, the light should turn OFF.
11. You are now ready to control the switch with an X10 Remote Control Module: Desktop, Wireless Handheld, Security Panel, etc. The default
address is "A1". If you wish to change the Address Code, the Code Dials are behind the paddle. Remove the paddle with a small flat screwdriver
applied to the side of the paddle at the center fulcrum point. Insert screwdriver in small gap space between switch plate and paddle and flip the
paddle up from its side.
12. Attach the switch cover plate.
Note: See Soft Start / Fade Off Dimming information on the bottom of the next page.